Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Teeme Muusikat


One of my favorite records. This little ep might appeal to fans of Carl Orff/Gunild Keetman Schulwerk records, or the Estonian jazz-folk-pop group Collage. A man with a neck beard named Veljo Tormis is at the helm. I don't think the record explicitly follows Orffian principles, but it sounds very similar -- lots of mallet instruments and singing in rounds. Cool medieval Baltic folk for the bellbottom set. Teeme Muusikat translates as something like "let's play music."

7 comments:

  1. Tremendous blog you have. I look foRWARD to hearing this, since I rate Tormis highly (I know him in his 'serious' composer mode)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, cool. Tormis' epic double album of Baltic folk songs on ECM is a particular favourite.

    Stefan M—
    friendsound.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks interesting indeed, thanks! I'm a big fan of Collage. Will try to check out that ECM release, thanks for the recommendation, Stefan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.mediafire.com/?b5fm8y9bfdzj8tz

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks very much for reupping these

    ReplyDelete