Saturday, December 3, 2011

Atmospheres


A while ago my wife and I rented Polanski's "The Tenant." It seemed a clear enough proposition to just sit down and watch it, but it had one of those complicated DVD menus where you're never quite sure what you're clicking. I pressed play and we proceeded to spend the next two hours in a state of total confusion. "This movie isn't all it's cracked up to be," I loudly asserted. "Everyone talks so weird -- it sounds horrible." It wasn't until the next day that we discovered I had accidentally clicked the dubbed English audio option.

This album reminds me of that experience. But in a good way. It's hard to pin down stylistically but I think that's the point -- a bit avant-garde, a bit gauloise-smoking session drummer, a bit Polanski. I like it. See what you think.

My fellow weird-music enthusiast Tom says that one of the tracks, "Afro-theme" (also known as "Centre national de documentation pédagogique") was the theme song for a children's TV show in France in the late-70s. By the way, Tom is the creator of probably my favorite mix-tape of the year, which can be downloaded here. You should all listen to it.

5 comments:

  1. Both of these are amazing Ben! Thanks especially for the Found Object link - missed that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really liked that album.
    When's it from? Can't find much information about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure -- maybe 1975 or so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks.
    I added your blog to my feeds a couple of weeks ago and have been flicking through past posts since. Pretty interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete